Thursday, August 16, 2007

Can she really be sick again?

So, it's summer. I thought there was an unwritten rule that kids don't get sick as much in the summer, but apparently all sick rules are null and void in the Bean household! When I went to pick Ainsley up from the nursery at church Sunday morning, I noticed one of the workers in the hall holding a little boy that had been in Ainsley's room earlier that morning. She told me that the parents had brought him in with a fever! Granted, the parent's may not have known that he had a fever, but that still doesn't erase the fact that the kid was spreading his feverish germs all over my child! So, I left that morning thinking that we actually might have a chance. After all, Ainsley is still on antibiotics from her ear infection and she just had the stomach bug a few days earlier. We should be good, right?

WRONG! About 11:00 Monday morning, after playing with her friend Michael for 2 hours, we were getting ready to go meet some friends at the pool when I felt of her burning forehead. It wasn't bad yet...around 101.5 or so. (If you know Ainsley, that's pretty low for her) So, I gave her some medicine and put her down for her nap. She slept over 3 hours and woke up with a temp of 104.5. Ugh! All I can think about is that kid in the nursery! My poor baby is shaking like she tends to do when her fever gets over 104 and I have to leave in an hour for a training class at work. I gave her a cool bath, loaded her up on medicine, and Daddy came home early with some ice cream to cool her little body down. We always have to be careful when her fever gets that high so she won't have a seizure. I couldn't break it, but I got it to 103 or so before I left. This was at least low enough that she didn't scream when I left her with Daddy. Later that night it dropped to 102, but we still didn't get it to break before bedtime. I had the guest room prepared with a flashlight, medicine, water, cool washcloth, etc. expecting to be up with her all night, but she slept for 13.5 hours!

Since then things have been better. I'm sad that there's no school for Ainsley on Friday, but I had to work yesterday so at least she got to go with me and play 1 day at school this week. Because I won't have my shopping day tomorrow, I took Ainsley shopping with me today. I've been trying to find her big girl bedding, but I think I'm being way too picky. I did get a great deal on some Stride Rites at Dillard's though! We had a fun morning together and Ainsley loved to help find her new shoes.

We converted Ainsley's bed to a toddler bed tonight! I'm SO nervous about it. She's been sleeping in until 8:30 or 9:00am every morning and I'm so scared that she's going to be up at 6:00am tomorrow! She did really well tonight. I sat by her bed and read her a book. Then I sat next to her and patted her back for quite a while until she was good and still. I listened closely in the monitor to make sure she wasn't crawling out, but I just heard her singing. It was a little later than usual when she finally fell asleep, but so far so good! Wish me luck!

No comments: