Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Baby Grady Update

I had a doctor's appointment yesterday and got some good news. It's funny....if I was having a vaginal delivery, most of the news would have been pretty disappointing, but since I'm having a C-section it didn't really matter!

First he couldn't feel the baby at all, which meant he was still really high up. It didn't surprise me at all since Ainsley stayed like this until I was induced at 41 weeks. (This also means that I'm still on track for a C-section on the 24th) So, he told me he couldn't even tell what position the baby might be in. I said that I thought his bottom was on my right side because this hard lump was always popping out. But then the doctor said if it was a hard lump it's most likely his head. He felt around on my stomach a bit and said, "Well let's just see!" So, he turned the lights out and did an ultrasound! What a surprise! (Maybe it was because I had baked him cookies too, though...ha!) It was kind of neat seeing a baby that far along. I don't think I've ever seen an ultrasound at 37 weeks. Well, it turns out, the lump was his head!

I felt SO bad immediately because I've been sleeping mostly on my right side. That meant I've been sleeping on the poor thing's head! And making the baby sleep upside down! Oh well, right? So, as the doctor was doing the ultrasound he said, "Looks like he's coming out butt first! You were expecting a boy, right?" And then I looked at the screen.....let's just say there's no doubt this kid is a boy! I was also measuring much bigger this week, but the doctor believes it's because Grady is laying across my belly, rather than down in the pelvic bone. He is, however, sitting right on top of my bladder...also very clear in the ultrasound!

I thought this was my last appointment, but he wants to see me back in a week. Just to get back on MDO day, I scheduled it for 10 days, rather than 7. That will be 6 days before the surgery, so it's very likely the next appointment will be my last.

I can't believe it's gone by so fast! Clint just commented last night, "It's so weird having babies." I thought he meant how they are formed and such, but he went on to say, "I feel like we should be in high school, hanging out at the movie theatre or something!" It is kind of weird...thinking that we're 30 years old with 2 kids. I thought I'd feel much older when I got to this stage in my life, but I still feel very young. Hopefully the lack of sleep in a couple of weeks won't make me look much older! :)

No comments: